Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Revised Backup Plan

Some may remember my rebellious backup plan from as early as March (!).
Weeell... I had a bit of time to think things over and I've decided that that was a poor idea.

First I'd like to examine if a backup plan is really neccessary at this point. Taking into account the amount of time left, the fundraising activities planned, the number of team members in need of serious cash, the number of millionaire friends we all have (there may be ONE, which is pretty awesome! :-D), and the number of friends not suffering from donor fatigue yet (there may another one, LOL!), it is fair to say that: yes, darn it! Planning for "just in case" sounds like a pretty sensible idea at this point.

So back to what there is to do, then. I've actually started asking around as early as Mid-April to see how other riders feel about the Rebel Rider idea. The response was mostly something like "weeeell, let me just see how I'll be doing. All the best to you, though!" - and it's starting to dawn on me why that is:

  1. Safety: Who's going to look out for this small group of rebellious riders on the road? What if someone gets hurt? What if someone can't continue?
  2. Safety: Is this small group of rebellious riders very visible on those busy streets? Wouldn't we put ourselves at a somewhat high risk?
  3. Liability: What if someone needs to go to the hospital? What about insurance? 
  4. Questionable rebellion: Who or what exactly would we protest against? A Not-For-Profit-Organization raising funds for critical cancer research? Against the rules said organization has established?
  5. Questionable rebellion: Isn't it kind of sad to be so stubborn to not even be able to accept and be bitter about a set of rules an organization established that is trying to make a positive difference across the nation while being financially and legally responsible?
  6. Doing the right thing: Wouldn't it be much better to not be so money focused oneself if one has trouble reaching the goal? Wouldn't it be nice to be in it for the cause, to do one's best no matter what, to have fun with it and enjoy the experience as a whole?
  7. Doing the right thing: Wouldn't it be nice to take the Foundation up on their offer  and volunteer at the event in case the goal is not met? Wouldn't that be the responsible, supportive, and positive thing to do?  I very much think so!
So I'll be leaving my stubborn self behind now because it is really not of much use here.
If  "just in case" should become a reality, you'll find me handing out muffins, cheering riders on, cutting fruit, setting up tents, flagging and directing, or what have you. I am sure they'll let me wear my rebel pirate pants while doing that plus I get to take loads of photographs and video footage for this Blog for all to enjoy!

I am part of this thing and I shall do it right!
(And I apologize for having been a rebel with a cause about it - or so I thought - earlier...)

2 comments:

Ronda Laveen said...

Girl...you are so AWESOME! Just in case no one tells you so.

Ze O said...

*Blush* :)

Care for a muffin, hon?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com and Christina