Friday, April 2, 2010

DIY Gatorade


I'm a purist and not a sucker who would spend a lot of money on a chemical brew with questionable value to my health. But I still get pretty exhausted from my 3hr workouts. That's why I believe Liz Applegate when she writes in her Encyclopedia of Sports & Fitness Nutrition that " in workouts lasting an hour or more, you need carbohydrate replenishment as well as water. Sports drinks provide both."
She continues that "Sports drinks are scientific marvels, and few natural foods or beverages can match their formulations." Grml... I'm not sure I like this last sentence very much. I certainly won't just take Lizzie's (if I may) word for it. " If you want to try to make your own, however," However! I do like howevers and am all ears!
"mix
  • 9 teaspoons of sugar" Sugar!? Yikes!! Can't I use Stevia?
  • "1/8 teaspoon salt, and
  • the juice of one lemon into
  • 3 cups of water.
Aim for 5 to 12 ounces every 15 to 20 minutes for workouts lasting more than 60 minutes."

So I gave it a try. Lucky my MIL forgot her sugar at my house last time she visited.  I don't buy the stuff. That's why she brought her own.
The homemade sports drink tastes just like lemonade and actually really works! I was able to keep cracking jokes after my last 3hr monster workout and even went to get the mail and drag in the garbage bins after!  It certainly wasn't like that before. I would just sit in the corner, hate myself, the world and everybody in it for an hour or so.
If sugar does the trick, so be it. I shall drink salty sugar drinks with lots of water in order to make it to Seattle!
But after I will switch right back to my beloved Stevia.
Sugar remains pure white evil in my world.

Here's reason # 1, the other ones are common knowledge.  I will definitely buy fair trade should I run out before the Ride.

4 comments:

Mrsupole said...

There is still so much slavery going on all over the world. I think it is so sad that it continues to this day and would wish that it could someday end and know that it will not as long as there is evil in the world.

I have to say that the saddest slavery is when a government enslaves it's citizens. Communism and Socialism are probably the easiest means for a government to enslave it's people. When one thinks of how the Chinese people are still a slave to their government it is so sad. Then it makes me think of how we are all slaves to our governments but in a different way. Just don't pay your taxes and see how fast you will be enslaved into a prison or your paycheck garnished. Yes, we are all slaves to our governments and we let this happen. When you think that the majority of these taxes started out as temporary and we voted to let our governments tax us then it is even sadder. Then the greedy government officials decided to make them permanent is even more disgusting. I feel they have betrayed our trust with their greed for our money and have taken advantage of us. Wait this sounds just like what the slave owners do!

Greed, lust for power, the ability to control those they think are beneath them, are some causes of slavery. The more our governments control everything in our lives then the more we become their willing slaves. To watch this happen all over the world is such a sad thing.

Maybe someday good will win over evil, but with what continues to happen on a daily basis does not bode well for the good people of the world.

People of the world need to stop letting governments "do everything" for them and "giving up control" of things in their lives. Maybe by ending government slavery we will end the abilities of people to own slaves. Individuals need to fight the corruption of these governments who enslave and allow the enslavement of their people. We the people need to fight for the individual freedoms of people everywhere.

Is there a way to know if sugar comes from a good company, the same as diamonds. I think diamonds are easier to give up then sugar. Then again, I am wondering if honey is okay because aren't the bees who make the honey just slaves to the Queen Bee.

I do guess this means that I have to cut down on the sugar in my tea. We have switched to the Agave and now I wonder how it is made. I am gonna go crawl into a hole. But I never buy Nike's after hearing about how much they pay for their shoes to be made. And anything else I find out about being made with children as slaves.

Okay, I guess I just better stop buying anything. Well I will have to do that anyway with our government taking so much of our income with taxes. Every bill and everything we buy here is taxed to death. I am afraid to read the list of taxes on every bill and how they nickel and dime us to death. Almost every thing is taxed down here and I have heard from Hubby's family that you all pay even more taxes.

Frickin evil governments. *uck them all. I think I should stop now. Not good for me to read stories about slaves.

God bless.

Mrsupole said...

Oh, almost fogot about your posting of the recipe. What does the salt do? And that is a lot of sugar. But I do think you need it right now.

Keep going, you are doing great, you little rebel. Rebel with a cause that is.

God bless.

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Interesting- I hate sports drinks. But, they are good for athletes, and the recipe you posted is pretty much just lemonade with some salt, which I think I could handle.

Ze O said...

Sherry, I believe in our voting power by the purchases we make. It may not have the biggest impact right away, but if everybody bought ethical products, so many things would change. That's why I keep doing it.
I understand that this subject makes you so upset. Me too.

Tats, I don't like the stuff either. The homemade Gatorade is actually not too bad.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com and Christina