I wrote it before and I am writing it again. Since this is my Blog and I am trying to keep it real, I think it's ok to share my opinion about the following with anybody who might be interested.
First a little summary about the last training ride I attended a few weeks ago. It was wonderfully organized, there were a number of volunteers helping with the bike clinic, showing the riders the way, and cheering us on; there was a pit stop with fresh fruit, cereal bars, drinks, motivational signage, and supportive people all around. They also printed out maps for the riders to take along so no one would get lost as one sometimes ends up all alone and confused.
Loved it and I started to understand what my $ 75.00 registration fee was for and how very justified it is, considering there are going to be a number of these rides and we all get a free T-Shirt, a high quality jersey (well, only the ones meeting the Foundation's goal get the jersey), a manual, and online- and telephone support (I am not sure the Ride Guides are being paid for their services, though. Some might. Others may not.)
Anyway, I felt looked after pretty well, even though I found myself all alone on the highway at one point. But I do digress now.
So I was looking quite forward to the training ride that is planned for tomorrow. Imagine my surprise when I read the following footnote in this email I received from the Foundation an hour ago:
"Please note: As this is a training ride, there will not be any signage posted on the route. As well, all roads and trails are open to vehicles and other cyclists. All riders are responsible for bringing their own copy of this map with them on the ride along with any food, water, and other gear required. There will not be any food or drinks provided. This ride will be a great opportunity for you to meet other participants and train in a group setting."
My question is: why would I roll out of bed at an ungodly hour on my day off to attend a training ride - that I could easily do with my Guildford friends (or at least some of them) at a more convenient time - if I don't even get a snack, someone to show me the way or at least a black and white Google maps printout?
Great opportunity to meet other participants? That didn't happen last time. Train in a group setting? Hello? Remember? Me? Alone? On the highway?
Hmmm...
I really don't mean to be a nag and party pooper. I am trying hard to stay upbeat, fresh and motivated - but these things don't exactly turn me on.
Is it me?
Maybe a long hard workout will help...?
I will definitely have a chat with my European twin tonight to see if she may want to go somewhere else a little later tomorrow.
I don't think I'll go to that. I just don't see the point.


3 comments:
Wow, how do you like that?
I just received a response from one of the ride guides in regards to my nagging (emailed them a few lines).
Lack of resources being the main problem, like always.
I've met Kyle (the ride guide) and he's an awesome guy. I am sure he's been working his butt off for the Foundation (tomorrow is his last day, strangely enough...)
So I tried to let him know that the problem is certainly not HIM but maybe the Foundations' resource-management?
I don't know I am just being an old nagger maybe...
I work in nonprofit myself and we chronically lack resources. And there is just no answer to it...
Maybe they spent all the money on the first training ride. Yes, I would say that is some very poor financial management on their part if they did. Or they should just have charged a small fee for each ride. But then again maybe they expected more to turn out for the first training ride and they did not.
I say that you should just keep complaining and then maybe something will be done for next year, even if you do not do it next year, at least if you helped to change something, then you did something worthwhile to help future participants. Although I get a funny feeling that you might try this again next year. I'm game to try and help again if you do.
God bless.
Hi Sherry
I am not entirely sure what happened. All I know is that Kyle quit untimely. I did nag the Foundation a bit- so did my European twin, by the way! We're just asking questions. Generally we get the same standard answers.
Ah! I am sure getting an event like this on the road is hard and there must be as many opinions about resource management as there are participants.
So I'll try to go a bit with the flow. Maybe it'll all work out just fine.
Post a Comment