Monday, March 8, 2010

Challenge # 3 - The Thermometer

This one is, to me, the biggest and most daunting one.
I can't say that I have much fundraising experience, yet, by signing the paperwork, I attest that "I understand that I must raise at least CA$ 2500.00 in order to ride in the event." (Quoting the Foundation's Waiver and Release of Liability.)

Twentyfivehundred clams?! That indeed is a lot of money...

According the the BC Cancer Foundation it can be done, no problem. The Top Fundraisers featured on the Website make it look so easy, too. Some go as far as writing: "Ooh, would you look at that? I've met my goal already! Better set a higher goal right now..."
That must be just splendid for those amazing money makers. My big Achieved: $0.00 is staring me in the face, making me feel queasy, and letting me know that this is truly the real challenge.

Why am I writing this? Not to sound petty so people have mercy on me and make a donation. I am mostly trying to keep it real and also don't want to look "greedy". I think personally I would have settled for a humble fivehundred bucks. But I am thinking that I may not have a lot of insight into organizing an event like this and the associated costs. So, no! I don't think the Foundation is being greedy, either!

The good news is that I have a coworker who is quite experienced in fundraising. She is eager to share her strategies with me, which is so very much appreciated.
The Foundation will also host some workshops on raising money. I hope I'll pick up some ideas from these two sources.
Plus - I have to say: I haven't even really started trying yet. I haven't even been to the orientation session! As usual I am getting a bit ahead of myself. So we shall see how it will really go after all.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com and Christina