The thing that remains more challenging than anything is to continuously ask people you know more or less for "support", "a donation", "sponsorship".
I may have written it before, and I'll write it again, because it's so very true:
For a few days I would like to not get strange looks that convey "I don't even know you anymore". For just a few days I would like to not have people avoiding me by running and yelling "Jeez! Would you look at the time?!" or "Boy am I ever so busy these days!". I am simply tired.
I don't want to do the third follow up. I don't want to follow up at all right now.
If someone doesn't respond, I get the message. Some people are simply not interested and that's just the way it is. I can't be interested in every good cause myself, so how could I expect everybody to jump at the opportunity to "be my sponsor"? I really don't. And I certainly don't judge anybody.
Since this is my Blog and I am trying to keep it real I don't think that it's a big problem to mention that I am still grappling with some of the Cancer Foundation's Policies, the main one being, and I quote the Release and Waiver again: "I understand that I must raise at least CA$ 2500.00 in order to ride in the event."
By now I've learned that there are no ifs and no buts about it. So even if you join a team and this team raises, say $10.000 through fundraisers, you yourself will still have to have $2500 in your own account. Say one team member has $5000 in their account and they'd like to help fellow team members out. No can do. Once the transaction is done, it's done alright. So we have to be smart about it, think ahead and hope we'll work something out that helps every single Guildford Rider.
There is a certain fairness to it, I can see that. Freeloaders don't stand a chance because they just may end up staying at home, even if their team is a top fundraiser. But still... The Ride sounds at times so very money driven, almost corporate. It bothers me. Yes, you need money to do research. But I believe that there is more to this event than scraping money together. To me it's an outreach, a community service, a way of telling people affected by cancer: "Hey, you are definitely not alone. We all hate cancer and we're going to do something about it together!" So, why is it that some people with this attitude may not be allowed to ride because they didn't meet their obligatory goal?
Hmmm... If someone has a good answer for me, please do enlighten me.
I have come across so many generous people as well in the last little while. They were absolutely enthusiastic, pulled their wallet out right then and there and gave me a honkin' big amount of cash. Some took the flyer I gave them home, checked out this blog, came back and told me that they've read the whole thing (!) and that they really liked it, that they will keep checking back and 'by the way, here's a little something'. I was pretty touched by all those people and I thank every single one of them, anonymous and otherwise!
My true personal goal has already been met, I think it must have been around the $800 mark.
See for yourselves where we are at today!
Personally I think that this is absolutely amazing.
So, what I am saying is that I shall not harass people for money because it is simply not my style. I've ignored this value of mine a few times these past two weeks and I am sure that's why I feel the way I do today. I appreciate spring break being upon us as it gives me a breather. So during this time I will only ask people for a donation I am 100% comfortable with.
Furthermore I shall not give up trying to meet the Foundation's goal (I just can't say that it's mine). I will remain committed and dedicated to the cause and get some fundraisers going with the Guildford Riders. I will keep volunteering my time and my skills to do the best I can.
In addition I shall keep training the way I have. It brings me great joy, especially now that it's with a true purpose.
Finally, I shall remember that with the help of a wonderful group of people I was able to raise a substantial amount of money that will go towards cancer research no matter what. I shall not forget that the Ride to me is about coming together, helping each other out, meeting new people and doing something amazing.
I know, some people may think that this sounds a lot like giving up and might turn into a self fulfilling prophecy. I think otherwise. I am cautiously optimistic. Ok! Alright! There is some negative thinking present, I won't deny! But I am not scared of negative thinking, it doesn't always materialize into an unfavourable truth. I know that from experience. (I am also wondering: would it really be so bad if I didn't meet my goal? Hardly...) I've never had a problem with standing corrected. I will humbly bow my head should I hit the $10.000 mark. And throw a big party!
I really love being honest like this. There's nothing worse than those fakes who will smile and laugh and pretend that everything is just wonderfully dandy and make up all kinds of fun stuff to divert people's attention from "the shadow".
Before signing up I was searching for Blogs, personal stories, unofficial reports about the Ride and I couldn't find much. So I am writing this for anybody who is interested and anybody who would just like that little extra information about what it's all about.
I have to go now to ride another 50 km. The competition doesn't sleep, as my dad always says.



3 comments:
I love this post. You have to be true to yourself. I think it's odd that they would absolutely require a certain amount, you'd think they'd be happy to have any amount and number of people joining up.
Christina: You still have time. I searched through your links and the ride isn't until mid-June, girl. And your almost at 50%.
Keep doing what you are doing in your own way. I've had to do a lot of fund raising in my day and the one thing I know, is that you can never tell who will and who won't support you. Every no you get, gets you closer to a yes.
I do think it's odd that they cut you out of the pack if you don't hit $2500. I think that if they don't accept you for the ride, they shouldn't get to keep the funds you raise, but that's just me.
I am making my donation tonight.
Good luck, girl.
I too don't get why it has to be that way.
(That reminds me: I had a visit from Jehova's Witnesses this morning! :-o)
Thanks for your inputs, Tats and Ronda. That was really helpful.
I know, Ronda, I still have plenty of time. That's true. But I pretty much asked everybody I know. I don't think I should go back to all those nice people and ask them to come to a fundraising event to make ANOTHER donation. (Unless they really want to, of course, but asking again seems kind of rude...)
I feel that I really depend on the Guildford Riders right now to draw in the crowds. I am just not the best connected person there is. Haven't lived in this area very long either...
Anyway, enough whining for one day!
THANK YOU RONDA for being my sponsor!! You are an amazing woman. :D
Post a Comment