Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fundraising Babysteps

So I had a little meeting yesterday with this coworker with fundraising experience I mentioned before.
She told me that collecting money for a cause is a social exchange (I like this term). I shouldn't forget that  I'm not raising the money for myself and neither does the BC Cancer Foundation. I shouldn't be shy to ask clearly and directly for support.
So I did. I asked her clearly and directly if she would be my sponsor.
Unfortunately she had to decline as she has some big financial commitments just now. I totally understand,
yet couldn't help noticing the irony of the situation.
But I definitely appreciate the time she took out of her busy day to give me some pointers and provide me with some contacts. Many thanks for that! That too is a form of support, no question.
I applied her suggestions right away and got my promotional material (which is a little flyer in full colour) and donation forms printed and packaged. Later in the evening there was a big meeting in the house so I had a chance to approach a number of people. Some had this here-we-go-again-look on their face, it makes you feel quite awkward.  Some took the info and said they would check out what I am up to. I think that would have been my response, too.
Others yet were all over the idea, very excited, and supportive with a capital S. "What?!" they said "and you are biking the whole distance?! Amazing!", "Yes, I've heard about the Ride and it would be an honour to sponsor you, hand me the form!", "My sister had breast cancer. She's fine now. You know, she works in the medical field and took matters in her own hand. She acted as a guinea pig for a new medication they were trying out.", "My dad had cancer and died of it two years ago. Thank you so much for doing this!", "Are you ok? Do you have cancer?" is what a few people asked, too. This question really took me by surprise.

That must be how fundraising feels. You just never know what kind of response you are going to get and you definitely have to be emotionally prepared. It's not easy to put yourself out there like this, it makes you feel somewhat vulnerable. I wonder how hard it must be for people who themselves have cancer or whose spouse, child or parent suffer from the disease. It must be absolutely exhausting to raise funds in a situation like that. I deeply admire the strength of those fellow fundraisers and salute them.

4 comments:

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

My daughter goes to a very small charter school, they do fundraisers throughout the year. I used to be quite shy about asking people for money, but now I'm so used to it, it doesn't phase me. I don't get pushy, and I don't mind if people decline; there are times when people just can't afford to help.

Good luck!!

Ze O said...

Yeeeah, I still have to get used to the whole routine. Being too pushy is no good either, that's for sure.

I am starting to realize what I've signed up for. But it's pretty exciting.

Ronda Laveen said...

No, you never really know how people are going to react when you solicit donations. Sometimes, the people I think won't do. And vice-versa. I've just had to learn to not take the answer personal. It just tells me about that particular person. You are doing great!

It was ironic about your co-worker, though.

Ze O said...

That's exactly what I found out today, Ronda! By chance a lady heard about my efforts today and she was all over it! Wow...

Yeah, my coworker is sometimes a bit ironic like that... ;)

Thanks for your words, Ronda!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com and Christina